- Admitted Students
- Current Students
- Field Agency Partners
- Prospective Faculty
- Boston College
- Campus Life
- Jesuit, Catholic
- Academic Calendar
- BC Magazine
- Offices, Services, Resources
- Agora Portal
- Maps & Directions
- Master of Social Work Program
Part-time MSW Program
- Full-time MSW Program
- Field Education
- Advanced Standing
- Dual Degrees
Our part-time three- or four-year MSW program offers the rigorous curriculum and valuable field experience of our full-time program in a flexible format that accommodates your busy schedule.
After taking introductory courses your first semester, you will choose to specialize in either clinical or macro practice, and select a field of practice that aligns with your career goals. You may also decide to complete one or more certificates to further customize your degree.
The three-year program divides the equivalent of the full-time foundation year into two years. You will take two courses each semester for the first year. In your second year, you will be considered a full time student. You will take three courses per semester, which includes the field education courses, for a total of 9 credits. During your final year, you will have a full-time course load, which includes the field education courses.
If you are interested in more flexibility, you may extend the program to a fourth year by dividing your final year of coursework into two years.
Fields of Practice
Clinical program: year 1, clinical program: year 2, clinical program: year 3.
*Field 2 days per week in second year.
**Summer block field placement is 5 days a week for 12 weeks for eligible students.
***See Final Year curriculum plans for Field-of-Practice requirements
**** 2 out of 5 electives must be taken in student’s specialized practice (Clinical or Macro), 1 of which must be taken concurrent with Field Education IV-CSW
+Field 3 days per week in final year.
Macro program: year 1, macro program: year 2, macro program: year 3.
**** 2 out of 5 electives must be taken in student’s specialized practice (Clinical or Macro), 1 of which must be taken concurrent with Field Education IV-Macro
+Field 3 days per week in final year.
In the four-year program, you will take two courses each semester for the duration of the program, with the exception of the first semester of your third year, when you will take three courses.
Field Education is taken during the second and fourth years of the four-year program. During the second year, you will spend two days per week in the field and increase to three days per week during the fourth year.
Clinical Program Curriculum Plan
Clinical program: year 4, macro program curriculum plan, macro program: year 4.
You'll choose from six fields of practcie.
Curricula Informed by Expertise
Members of our faculty are leading researchers, scholars, clinicians, and practitioners with expertise in a spectrum of disciplines within and outside of social work. They inform classroom teaching with expert knowledge from their research, clinical, and community practice.
Faculty & Research
Meet Our Students & Alumni
They serve communities locally and across the globe, sustaining positive social change through critical work.
- Filter Filter By Alumni current student
- current student
2021-22 Incoming Three-Year Class Profile
Students who identify as AHANA*
*African-American, Hispanic, Asian, and Native American
Succeed With Career Services
Connect with employers at career fairs, polish your résumé at workshops, and broaden your network with alumni. Plus, career services doesn’t end at graduation—it’s a lifelong membership.
Msw program, research projects, equity, justice, & inclusion, facts & figures.
- Faculty & Research
Application open for MSW & PhD programs
The application is open now for the following programs:
- Online MSW Program (part-time), Summer 2023
- On-Campus MSW Program (full-time and part-time), Fall 2023
- Worcester Hybrid MSW Program (part-time), Fall 2023
- Off-Campus MSW Programs in Bedford and Fall River (part-time), Fall 2023
- PhD in Social Work Program , Fall 2023
Find important information and deadlines below and on our MSW Admissions and PhD in Social Work webpages.
Important Notes: Read Before Applying
- Applicants are encouraged to use a Gmail account when creating an application to ensure that you receive all emails regarding application status updates, admission decisions, and other important communications.
- Once you are enrolled in a program, you cannot switch tracks (ex. Traditional Track to Human Service Experience Track). If you would like to switch tracks, this must be done during the application phase and prior to the application deadline. Additionally, you cannot transfer to another campus or program (ex. Charles River Campus to Online Program) to switch tracks once enrolled in a program.
- Applicants may apply for only ONE campus per application cycle.
- If you have applied and were not accepted, you must wait one year to reapply to any of our campuses or programs, including the Online MSW Program.
- Advanced Standing applicants: Applicants who are currently in their senior year of a Bachelor of Social Work program and completing their field internship must submit a mid-year field evaluation with their application or as soon as it becomes available. Your acceptance is conditional upon receiving your final field evaluation. If you are doing a block placement and do not have a mid-year evaluation yet, please email [email protected] for instructions on what to submit with your advanced standing application.
Contact us at [email protected] or 1-833-255-8970 for assistance or questions.
Start Your Application
MSW Application Deadlines
On-campus program – charles river (boston) campus.
The application for Fall 2023 entry to our On-Campus MSW Program is open! Apply now
- Completed applications submitted by March 7th, 2023 will be considered for our final deadline
Learn More: On-Campus MSW Program ∗ Application Portal
The application for Summer 2023 entry to our Online MSW Program is open! Apply now
- Summer Final Deadline: March 8, 2023
Applicants to our Summer 2023 term are eligible for a $95 application fee waiver . Please email [email protected] to inquire about an application fee waiver. The Online MSW Program accepts students three times a year. Students can apply to begin the online program in the spring (January), summer (May), or fall (September) semester.
Learn More: Online MSW Program ∗ Application Portal
Off-campus programs – bedford, cape cod & fall river.
The application for Fall 2023 entry to our Off-Campus MSW Programs is open! Apply now
- Fall Standard Deadline: March 8, 2023
- Fall Final Deadline: June 1, 2023
The Off-Campus MSW Program accepts students for the fall (September) semester. Applicants to our Off-Campus MSW Program may request an application fee waiver prior to submitting an application. To request a fee waiver please email [email protected] before the application deadline.
Learn More: Off-Campus MSW Program ∗ Application Portal
Worcester hybrid program.
The application for Fall 2023 entry to our Worcester Hybrid MSW Program is open! Apply now
The Worcester Hybrid MSW Program accepts students for the fall (September) semester. Applicants to our Worcester Hybrid MSW Program may request an application fee waiver prior to submitting an application. To request a fee waiver please email [email protected] before the application deadline.
Learn More: Worcester Hybrid MSW Program ∗ Application Portal
Phd application deadlines, phd in social work.
The application for Fall 2023 entry to our PhD in Social Work program is open! Apply now
- PhD Application Deadline: December 20, 2022
If you have any questions about applying to the PhD Program , please contact [email protected] .
Reapplication (MSW & PhD)
If a student will not be able to complete the MSW or PhD program within the allowed timeframe after previously taking a leave of absence *, or has completely withdrawn from a program and wishes to return, the student must re-apply to the program by completing the full admissions process.
Please indicate on your application that you are re-applying in the “Personal Information” section under the “Other Information” tab. Be sure to upload transcripts indicating any courses taken within BUSSW. Indicate in your personal statement when you last attended.
* MSW students must complete their degree within six years of the start of the program. PhD students must complete their degree within seven years of their start date.
Deadlines Early 12/01/2022 Priority 1/15/2023 Regular 3/15/2023 Application & Deadlines Resume Letters of Recommendation Personal Statement Transcripts Application Fee Questions International Students Financial Aid BCSSW offers scholarships to 100% of accepted students—with no additional application to complete. More About Financial Aid
Deadlines Early: December 1, 2022 Priority: January 15, 2023 Regular: March 15, 2023 Chart your course to difference-making. Choose a specialized practice: clinical or macro Choose a field of practice Learn in the field Customize your experience break Fields of Practice
SCWK 7762 Basic Skills in Clinical Social Work. 3: ... Boston College School of Social Work 140 Commonwealth Ave McGuinn Hall Chestnut Hill, MA 02467 617-552-4020.
Boston College 140 Commonwealth Avenue Chestnut Hill, MA 02467 617-552-8000
Find important information and deadlines below and on our MSW Admissions and PhD in Social Work webpages. Important Notes: Read Before Applying Start Your Application MSW Application Deadlines On-Campus Program – Charles River (Boston) Campus Online Program Off-Campus Programs – Bedford, Cape Cod & Fall River Worcester Hybrid Program